Did anyone watch the episode of
House last night? The patient he was diagnosing was a blogger who was obsessed with updating her blog and communicating with her readers, to the point where it was destroying her relationship with her husband. At one point, she had to make a decision regarding the type of treatment she would choose and, instead of discussing it with her husband, put the vote to her readers. The best quote though was when she said to her husband ‘I wish you had a blog so I could know what you’re thinking’.
It did get me thinking about blogging and how it affects my life. I started my blog as a way of recording bits and pieces and sharing info with other like minded people. Over the past few years one of my favourite past times is reading other people’s blogs. I often find myself thinking about these people (hopefully not in a creepy, single white female, stalker way) but more just thinking about their lives and looking forward to the next installment. Since joining the blogging world myself, I’m also able to see things from the other perspective. I think my blog is a way of channelling my energy into something positive. It’s a way for me to unwind and feel like I’m connected. I agree with
Fat Mum Slim who says that we often show the best side of us and for the most part I agree. But there are some days when I also use my blog as an outlet to vent thoughts and feelings I could not share with people that I see every day.
This all seems pretty healthy to me and, unlike the crazy blogger in House, there are aspects of myself that I don’t share online. While my blog doesn’t consume my life, I sometimes take pictures or think about events in terms of their suitability for my blog and I can see how it could become an obsessive compulsion. Do you know what I mean? Do you ever feel like you’re living for your blog or have you been pulled up for being blog-obsessed? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.
Love,
Cat x
Me too! xx
ReplyDelete