Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 1 Photo Challenge + Almond, Cranberry & Coconut Florentines

Day 1, Photo 1...a delicious Almond, Cranberry & Coconut Florentine

Day 1 of my June photo challenge and my first photo is, of course, of food. Not just any food either. A very yummy homemade almond, cranberry and coconut Florentine. I know the styling isn't great but just imagine the crunch as you bite into it, then you get the sweet surprise of a juicy cranberry and the decadent taste of dark chocolate....mmm... If only I could eat them all but I actually made them for work tomorrow. We're celebrating the Festa Della Republica, i.e. National Italian Day!! Wait til you see the shoes I'm wearing tomorrow. I haven't worn them yet as they're a bit far out but if I'm going to break them in, tomorrow's the perfect day. You'll see what I mean ;-)

Here's the recipe for the Florentine's, adapted from SMH, Good Living (Tuesday May 11, 2010)

Almond, cranberry and coconut Florentines

vegetable oil
3 egg whites
1/3 cup caster sugar
230g flaked almonds
50g shredded coconut
50g dried cranberries
200g dark chocolate

Heat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper and brush lightly with vegetable oil. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites lightly then whisk in caster sugar. Add flaked almonds, coconut and cranberries and gently mix until combined. Place by the tablespoonful on the trays and flatten with moistened fingers to flat discs of about 6cm diameter. Bake for 10 minutes then turn each tray 180 degrees and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool on the tray (they will harden as they cool) then arrange flat-side up on a wire rack set over paper (to catch the chocolate drips - I re-used the baking paper). Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of hot water, stirring. Pour a spoonful of chocolate on each Florentine and spread over the base. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set then store in an airtight container between layers of baking paper. Keep in a cool place or in the fridge.

Makes 18.

Enjoy!

Love,
Cat x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why hello there! Thank you for your comments :) x